Vaginal discharge is a very common phenomenon which every women experiences in her lifetime. The consistency, smell and color of the vaginal discharge may vary according to your menstrual cycle. Although most of the times getting a discharge is absolutely normal since it is our body’s way of keeping the vagina clean; at times it could be a cause of concern. You must pay attention and check your discharge to see if it has an unusual color or smell.
Types of Discharge
A clear and viscous discharge is a normal discharge which occurs during ovulation. After some strenuous exercise, you can expect a watery and clear discharge. Most women get a mucous like white discharge at the commencement and/or finish of the menstrual cycle but if it is thick and lumpy like cheese; it could be an indication of a yeast infection. A thick green or yellow discharge is usually caused due to an infection called trichomoniasis. A red or brown bloody discharge may be considered normal if it occurs at the end of the menstrual cycle. It can also occur between two cycles but it manifests different things at different times. If the brown discharge occurs around the date of your menstrual cycle, especially after having unprotected sex; it could indicate that you’re pregnant. If however it occurs in the first trimester of pregnancy; it could indicate a miscarriage.
Causes of Abnormal Discharge
An abnormal discharge is usually caused due to an imbalance of the bacteria in your vagina. Certain conditions that are responsible for causing this disparity are as follows:
• Excessive intake of steroids or antibiotics
• Using bubble baths and scented soaps
• Yeast infection
• Birth control pills
• Bacterial infections
• Sexually transmitted diseases
• Cervical cancer
• Vaginal atrophy
• Pelvic inflammatory disease
Although various antibiotics and medicines are available for curing vaginal infections; in most cases, vaginal discharge can be easily dealt with by using home remedies.
Here are some effective home remedies for treating vaginal discharge:
1. Amla juice – Amla or Indian gooseberry is very well-known for its infection-fighting properties. The high content of Vitamin C in amla helps to strengthen the immunity.
Tip – Take a teaspoon of dried amla root powder and boil it in a cup of water till only half the water remains. Add a teaspoon of honey and drink this concoction everyday on an empty stomach. You can also prepare a paste using honey and amla powder and take a teaspoon twice daily.
2. Lady Finger juice – Most people like to eat lady finger but don’t like its mucous-like texture. Well, this mucous-like texture of the lady finger can help to decrease vaginal discharge and get rid of mucous from our system.
Tip – Take 100gm lady finger, wash them and cut them. Boil the lady finger in 2 cups of water till only half of it remains. Strain the liquid and divide it in to three parts. Mix a teaspoon of honey in one part and drink it thrice daily.
3. Pomegranate juice – Pomegranate seeds are like little gems for the body since they contain medicinal and healing properties.
Tip – Drink one glass freshly prepared pomegranate juice daily for a month. You can also dry the peel of a pomegranate and crush it to obtain a powder. Now mix this powder in two cups of water and use it for washing the vagina. Another way is to grind 10 peppercorns along with lots of fresh pomegranate leaves and prepare a paste. Take half a glass of water and mix the paste to it. Strain the liquid and drink it twice every day.
4. Basil juice – Basil (Tulsi) leaves are known to cure several infections and diseases and it is of great medicinal value. This sacred plant is known for its anti-infection properties.
Tip – Prepare the juice of fresh basil leaves and mix a teaspoon of honey to it. Drink it twice daily. You can also mix some crystallized sugar with basil juice and drink it. Alternatively you can take some cumin powder and mix it a teaspoon of basil juice and drink it with half cup of cow’s milk.
5. Fenugreek wash – Fenugreek seeds help to balance the pH level of the vagina.
Tip – Take a pan and boil 4 cups of water in it. Now add two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds and simmer for half an hour. Strain this water and let it cool down. You may now wash the vagina with this water at least thrice daily till the infection is cured. Alternatively, you could soak a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water overnight and drink this water first thing in the morning.
6. Yoghurt wash – Yoghurt is great anti-bacterial and can help to decrease vaginal discharge considerably.
Tip – Just apply some yoghurt at the tip of the vagina. You can also soak a tampon in yoghurt and wear it for some time.
7. Coriander seeds – Coriander seeds help to eliminate all the toxins from the body.
Tip – Just soak a teaspoon of coriander seeds in a cup of water overnight and drink this water on an empty stomach every day till the infection is cured.
A few tips to maintain good vaginal health:
• Wash the vagina with a mild soap everyday while bathing.
• Always wear cotton underpants since they allow our skin to breathe.
• Refrain from using scented soaps and bubble baths.
• Clean your vagina after intercourse.
• Change your underpants daily and wash them with a mild antibiotic solution.
• Avoid wearing very tight clothes and if you’re comfortable, wear very loose clothing at night. It is advisable to remove your underpants while going to bed.
• Drink ample amount of water to flush out all the toxins from the body.
Most infections due to vaginal discharge can be cured using these remedies in a few days but if the problem persists, it is advisable to consult a gynecologist for expert opinion.