Libido is defined as the desire of each partner for sexual activity. It is more common in women than men. Low libido can affect your relationship with your partner. Most men experience a low libido in some point of their life. Although most common in men over the age of 40 years, younger men can also suffer from low libido due to a host of other factors.
• Taking too many medications
• Low self-esteem
• Hormonal imbalances
• Certain health conditions such as kidney & liver disease
• Too much or too little exercise
• Lack of sleep
• Drug abuse
• Consuming too much alcohol
• Low testosterone levels
• Erectile dysfunction
• Lack of time
• Communication problems and constant fights with partner
• Lack of intimacy
Men usually hesitate to talk about their problems, especially sexual problems. It is ok to be discreet about such things but you definitely need to find a solution to the problem you’re facing. Many men may feel reluctant to visit a doctor. Here are a few home remedies that can help to increase your libido without having to visit a doctor:
1. Eat some chocolate – If you want to spice up your life, indulge in some chocolate. Eating chocolate has a psychological effect on your sexual desire. Not only does it affect your sexuality, it also improves your sexual performance. Research has shown that when we eat chocolate, two chemicals are released in to our body, namely serotonin and phenylethylamine. These chemicals lift the mood and have an aphrodisiac effect on the body.
2. Add ginger to your diet – Just add some ginger to your diet to enhance your sex life. Ginger has a sharp and spicy flavor and it has a slightly sweet smell. It has a warming effect on the body and is considered to be one of the top foods which can boost your libido naturally! Known for its anti-inflammatory properties, ginger is great for relieving nausea. You can add it to boiling water and consume this water as tea and adding it to your dishes lends them a great taste.
3. Consume aphrodisiacs – Fruits that stimulate your desire to have sex are called aphrodisiacs. Consume aphrodisiac fruits such as strawberries, bananas, lychees, figs and avocados to boost your sex drive. Asparagus, celery and apples are also considered effective aphrodisiacs. These foods help to increase the flow of blood to the genitals and hence help to boost your sex life. Most of these fruits are aphrodisiacs due to their shape and appearance. They are considered as phallic symbols which act as visual symbols as well.
4. Meditate and relax – Stress is a very common problem nowadays and it leads to many other health issues. We get so tied up in work that we don’t get any time for ourselves and we just don’t relax. A tired body is bound to be low on libido. Meditate for some time every day. If possible, take up a sports activity of your choice or practice yoga to relieve stress. Many men get de-stressed when they have sex but it might not be possible if you’re already too exhausted.
5. Eat a handful of almonds – Almonds are considered to be one of the most effect ways of boosting your sex drive. Just a handful of raw almonds each day can help to keep you charged. Alternatively you can soak a few almonds in water overnight, de-skin them and eat them. Another healthy way of eating almonds is to grind the peeled almonds and mix them with a little lukewarm milk. You can add a teaspoon of honey or a pinch of saffron for additional benefits.
6. Dates for a date – Eat some dates to make your date eventful. Not only do they help in improving your overall vitality, they also help to increase your endurance, lift your mood and boost your sexual desire. A date every morning is great for rejuvenating your body and increasing your libido. You can also preserve dates and have them for a long time. Just take a big jar and fill one quarter of it with desi ghee. Now add 10 fresh dates along with 1/8th teaspoon of cardamom powder, a teaspoon of ginger and a pinch of saffron. Cover it and store it for 12 days in a warm place.
7. Soup it up – Drink the soup of some drumstick flowers and combat low libido. This is a great remedy not only for increasing sexual desire but also for treating sterility in both men and women. Just take a dry bark and crush it. Mix it with half a liter of water and boil it for 30 minutes and sip it slowly. You can also take in a concentrated form. Take 30gms of the powder and mix it with a tablespoon of honey and consume it thrice daily.
8. Garlic and onions can do the trick – Garlic and onion are natural libido boosters and are always available at home. Before going to bed, take some garlic milk to get charged. Take a cup of milk along with 1/4th cup of milk and boil it with a chopped garlic clove. Boil it till the liquid is reduced to a cup and drink it.
Just take a tablespoon of onion juice and mix it with a spoon of honey and take it on an empty stomach. You can also add a teaspoon of ginger juice to it.
9. Cloves to your rescue – This seemingly small spice has a powerful and lasting effect, not only on your tongue but also your body. It has a strong and slightly sweet flavor. It warms the body and improves your blood circulation. They help to increase your energy and increase your sexual desire too. Cloves contain a compound called eugenol which has a numbing effect on the body.
Just follow these simple home remedies and bring back the spark of love in your life!