Are you afraid of going out in the sun? With temperatures shooting up to 40 degree Celsius, it is almost a torture to go out in the sun. The sun’s heat takes away all your freshness and dips you in sweat. It dehydrates the skin and darkens the skin tone. The same heat that is welcome in the winters feels like a merciless dragon in the summers! Although we need some sun exposure to replenish the Vitamin D of our body, excessive exposure can lead to tanning. Unfortunately many of us have to leave home to go to work, but you can definitely reverse the effects of the sun by using some of our home remedies. The biggest advantage about home remedies is that they use ingredients off your kitchen shelf and you need not go anywhere to get them!
Here are some quick home remedies to get rid of sun tan:
1. Potato Paste – Potatoes contain a high amount of Vitamin C and thus they act a natural bleaching agent on the skin. Potatoes also contain an enzyme – catecholase, which possesses skin lightening properties.
Tip – Just peel 2-3 medium sized potatoes and grind them in a mixer along with a few drops of water till you get a thick paste. You can also add some lemon juice to it for added benefits. Apply the potato paste on your tanned skin and allow it to stay till it is completely dry. Wash off with cold water. Apply this paste regularly to lighten your skin tone.
2. Sandalwood and Coconut water Pack – Sandalwood powder is a common ingredient in many cosmetics. It is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and cooling effect on the skin. It provides great relief from the heat of the sun. It contains astringent properties and is really helpful in restoring sun-burnt skin while coconut water is a natural skin whitening agent and together they make a wonderful cure for removing sun tan.
Tip – Take 1 tablespoon each of coconut water and sandalwood powder and mix them well. Apply it on your face, neck and arms and wash off after half an hour.
3. Honey and Papaya Pack – Papaya contains an enzyme called papain which is a natural bleaching agent and is very beneficial for the skin. It helps to get rid of sunspots, acne scars and blemishes. Unripe papayas (green) are richer in papain and they should be used for this mask. It contains anti-inflammatory properties and prevents premature aging of the skin. It is loaded with Vitamin A and antioxidants and works as a natural exfoliant. Honey contains lots of antioxidants which help to exfoliate the skin and it is a wonderful moisturizing agent.
Tip – Just take a green papaya, chop it and blend it in a blender with 1 tablespoon of honey. You can also add some plain yoghurt to this pack for added benefits. Apply this pack on your face, neck and arms and allow it to stay for half an hour and rinse with water. A green papaya may cause irritation to some people so they can wash it after 15 minutes.
4. Cabbage leaves – Loaded with antioxidants, cabbage is very helpful in detoxifying the body. It helps to purify the blood and gives you flawless skin. It is a great remedy for getting rid of sun tan. The biggest advantage of using this dark green leafy vegetable is that you don’t have to prepare any mask or paste. They can be applied right away.
Tip – Just take 2 leaves of cabbage from the refrigerator and place them on your tanned skin. Allow them to stay for 5-10 minutes. You can do this several times every day.
5. Lemon Juice and Cornmeal Pack – Lemon juice is loaded with Vitamin C, which helps to lighten the complexion of the skin and reduces dark spots. Cornmeal exfoliates the skin and makes it look rejuvenated.
Tip – Take some cornmeal and mix 2 teaspoons of lemon juice to it. Apply this pack on the affected areas and massage in circular motion for 20 minutes. Wash off with cold water.
6. Glycerin and Almond Pack – Glycerin contains skin-lightening properties and can also act as a sunscreen. Almonds are a rich source of proteins and other minerals. They can help a great deal in making the skin look younger and shiny.
Tip – Grind some almonds and add a drop of water to get a thick paste. Now mix 4-5 drops of glycerin in it and apply this pack on your tanned skin before going to sleep. Wash it in the morning and say hello to fresher skin.
7. Aloe Vera and Banana Pack – Bananas are full of nutrients and vitamins which help to exfoliate the skin and get rid of tanning. It also helps to give an even skin tone. Aloe Vera is a natural bleaching agent and it helps to moisturize the skin immensely.
Tip – Mash half a banana and mix it with 1 tablespoon of fresh Aloe Vera gel. Apply this pack on your skin and allow it to stay for half an hour and rinse.
As we already know that Prevention is always better than cure; it might be a good idea to take some precautions while stepping out of the house in order to minimize tanning and prevent it. One must wear a good sunscreen before going out of the house. A good sunscreen would offer both UVA and UVB protection with an SPF of over 30. Wear a scarf around your face. Whenever possible, wear clothes that cover your body completely. Many women wear long gloves to protect their arms from tanning and many women wear socks even in summers. Moisturize your skin and keep it hydrated. Avoid going out during the time when the sun’s heat is at its peak. Also, do wear your sunscreen even if it’s cloudy because the sun is definitely there but it’s not visible to you. It still has the power to damage your skin.
Now go out as and when required without worrying about tanning!