Every woman dreams of beautiful long tresses. They like to style their hair differently on various occasions. Hair is subjected to various harmful elements every day. Although women don’t lose hair as often as men do; but women do suffer from hair loss. Most men lose a lot of hair and become bald as they age. Women, however do not lose so many hair. In exceptional cases, many women also lose hair just like men. Women lose hair due to a number of reasons such as hormonal imbalances, pregnancy, skin diseases, cancer and chemotherapy, iron deficiency, hair shaft abnormalities and twisting and pulling hair too often. Hair also becomes weak due to environmental pollutants and harsh shampoos. Applying too many chemicals, stress and lack of nutrients also leads to hair loss.
Losing about 50-100 strands of hair is absolutely normal. Usually you also get new hair just as fast. If you start losing more hair, then one just can’t ignore this problem. Increasing loss of hair can lead to serious problems such as depression in women. They become detached from society and this also affects their health adversely. It is like a vicious circle. When you’re stressed, you lose hair. Upon losing more hair, you get stressed!
But this problem can be controlled. The first and foremost thing that you need to do is to eat a nutritionally adequate diet. Not only is a healthy diet good for your body; it is also essential for the growth and maintenance of your hair. If you eat a balanced diet, your hair becomes soft and thick. Include lots of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables in your diet. These contain loads of nutrients which are very beneficial for your hair.
Try not to step out of the house if it’s too sunny. And if you really have to go out, cover your hair with a scarf. Sun, wind and pollution make the hair dry and dull. Hair needs to be protected from them. Don’t be in a hurry to tie your hair just after you step out of the shower. Wet hair is brittle and can break easily. Always check the shampoo that you’re using. A shampoo that contains fluoride is not good for hair. Try a mild shampoo.
Do not style your hair too often. Applying too many gels, hair mousse and using hair dryers, straighteners etc. makes the hair weak and also takes away the shine from your hair. Oil your hair at least once a week and massage on the scalp.
Just when you begin to notice hair loss, try some of our home remedies and prevent your locks from betraying you:
- Onion Juice – Onion is a very rich source of sulphur, which helps in increasing the production of collagen in the body. Collagen helps in the growth of hair and helps to control hair loss. The anti-bacterial properties of onion help to get rid of parasites and scalp infections. Onion also helps to prevent premature graying of hair.
How to use Onion:
- Onion Juice – Squeeze the juice of an onion and apply it on your scalp. Wash off after 15 minutes with a mild shampoo. Onion provides nourishment to the hair follicles and helps to provide nutrients. It also helps to strengthen the hair follicles and increase the blood circulation on the scalp.
- Onion and Honey Paste – Mix ¼th cup onion juice with a tablespoon of honey and apply this mixture to the scalp. This paste will help to make your hair really smooth since honey contains moisturizing properties and helps to keep the hair healthy.
- Egg – Eggs contain lots of vitamins, proteins and amino acids. They not only help to prevent hair breakage; they also help to make the hair strong, smooth and nourished. The fatty acids in egg help to improve the skin on the scalp and prevent hair loss. Another important fatty protein in egg – lecithin prevents the hair from becoming breakable.
How to use Egg:
- Egg and Olive Oil Mask – Take the egg white of one egg and mix it with one tablespoon each of honey and olive oil. Apply this mask on your entire scalp and let it stay for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with cold water. It is advisable to use cold water and a mild shampoo since hot water makes the egg curdle and it sticks to the hair. Olive oil and honey make the hair strong and smooth.
- Egg and Almond Mask – Churn some almonds with an egg and a teaspoon of honey in a grinder and apply this mask on your scalp. Wash off after one and half hours.
- Garlic – Garlic contains loads of sulphur along with many other nutrients such as Vitamin C and E and selenium, which help to decrease hair loss. It increases the blood circulation and also cleanses the scalp.
How to use Garlic:
- Garlic Juice and Coconut oil – Crush 4-5 garlic cloves and put them in a pan with a tablespoon of coconut oil. Boil them and wait for the mixture to cool. Massage this oil on to your scalp and let it stay for half an hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Garlic Juice and Honey – Crush 4-5 garlic cloves and extract their juice. Now mix it with a teaspoon of honey and apply this salve to your scalp. Let it stay for 20 minutes and wash off.
- Amla – Amla, better known as Indian Gooseberry is one of the most effective ingredients to prevent hair fall. Packed with Vitamin C, amla is the best natural medicine for hair.
How to use Amla:
- Amla and Lemon Juice – Mix one tablespoon each of amla powder and lemon juice and apply it on your scalp. Let it dry and rinse your hair with lukewarm water.
- Amla and Almond Oil – Mix freshly extracted amla juice with almond oil and massage it on to your scalp. Let it stay for a couple of hours and then rinse with a mild shampoo.
- Aloe Vera – Aloe Vera contains various enzymes that help to unclog the pores of the scalp and help to prevent shedding of hair. It also balances the pH level of the scalp.
How to use Aloe Vera:
- Aloe Vera Gel – Extract pure aloe vera gel from the leaves of the plant and gently massage it on to the scalp. Let it stay for a couple of hours and rinse with lukewarm water.
- Aloe Vera Shampoo – Take a small quantity of a mild shampoo and add one tablespoon each of aloe vera gel and coconut milk, along with half a teaspoon of wheat germ. Mix them nicely and use this mixture to wash your hair.
Say good bye to hair loss and show off your locks!